You are invited to join a dynamic and vibrant social science body located in the Southern African region, the South African Sociological Association (SASA). All persons who have at least a Masters Degree in Sociology or who have an Honours Degree and are appointed to teach Sociology at a Higher Education, are eligible. Registered students may join as student members for a maximum of five membership years.
Join now and become part of the intellectually exciting community of scholars. Meet both established, internationally renowned and energetic, up-and-coming, scholars.
Any member of the broad sociological community, and not only SASA members, may join the sociology-south-africa mailing list, which has been spam-free since its inception. Once you are a member, you may send emails to the list at . Emails are moderated for relevance. Join here. Past messages can be found here.
Joinining SASA comes with the benefit of reduced annual conference fees, inclusion in working group activities, intermittent invitations to other events and subscription to the SASA Journal, the South African Review of Sociology (SARS).
Note: SASA membership must have been paid and updated for a member to qualify for membership benefits. Membership lasts for a calendar year. Member status applies from the time of receiving confirmation until 31 December of that same year.
Two steps to Join Sasa
To join for the first time:
- Register online now;
- Then ensure proof of payment reaches .
To renew previous membership:
- Login on the site and ensure your correct details are captured on our system;
- Then ensure proof of payment reaches .
*Those who require an invoice may use this template.
*Any further membership or website queries may be sent to .
|Regular members (postal address in SA / Africa)
including post-doctoral fellows
|Fulltime students (in SA / Africa) (excluding post-doctoral fellows) and
Retired / Emeritus members
|Members at an address outside of Africa||R650|
Please note that the student and retired membership category is open only to sociologists who are not paid a regular salary.
Regardless of institutional or tax status, postdoctoral fellows / researchers, are not considered fulltime students for the purpose of SASA membership. This principle is applied across institutions.
SASA's banking details (not to be used for conference fees) are:
South African Sociological Association
ABSA Auckland Park
Account number 4040852146
Reference if individual: Memb "Your Name" (for example, "MEMB AKPAN W")
Reference if department: Memb "Your University Dept" (for example, "MEMB WITS")
Details for international banking:
Auckland Park branch
Corner Annette and Stanley Rd
Swift Code: ABSAZAJJ
BIC bank international code: Not used by ABSA bank. Try swift code or branch code 632005.
- If your details have changed, first log in on the left hand to update your profile.
- If your details are correct, simply send proof of payment with your surname and intial as reference to .
- If you are a new member, first complete the Membership Form. Contact details are treated as confidential. Details will be used for the purpose of SASA benefits and the online members' register only.
- Once your details are up to date, send proof of payment to SASA.
SASA accepts electronic transfers and direct deposits, but not cheque or credit card payments.
Pay the relevant fee directly into the SASA bank account, giving "memb" and your surname and initial as a reference for the deposit, for instance, MEMB AKPAN W. A payment without the correct reference or the reference "SASA" cannot be traced.
Where internet banking systems ask for payment confirmation details, enter email address (recipient Sasa).
- Once payment has been made, ensure that proof of payment reaches SASA. You may e-mail electronic or scanned proof of payment directly to or fax it to 086 604 7272 / 086 604 SASA. If you have entered your surname as reference and the email address for payment confirmation during an online payment / EFT, this is sufficient.
Once matching membership form and proof of your payment have been received by SASA, your membership can be updated. Ensure that you update your address and contact details online, as your membership benefits depend on this.
- IMPORTANT: It is members' own responsibility to ensure that their web profile on the SASA website is up-to-date. Membership benefits are based on the latest online membership list. Members should save all requested details for inclusion in our online members' register and in order to receive membership benefits. Should details not be correct online, no responsibility can be accepted for a failure to deliver membership benefits. Therefore:
- Please ask all existing members to log in and update their online profile.
- Please ask new members to create a profile by clicking on the membership form above, and submitting it online.
- A department administrator may do this on behalf of SASA members.
- Send proof of payment to email address or to fax number 086 604 7272 / 086 604 SASA.
- In the same email, include a list of all those whose membership is being updated, the amount that has been paid with respect to each member, and your own contact details.
- Please note that both of these two requirements (complete membership form - ensure proof of payment reaches SASA) must be met before SASA membership can be updated.