Unfortunately SASA cannot accept new membership registrations at this time, as the website and membership database are being transferred to a new site.
All those wishing to renew membership may simply send proof of payment to the SASA Membership Officer, Dr Liela Groenewald, at . Membership details and payment information can be found below - please scroll down.
All those who wish to join as new SASA members are invited to e-mail me on the same address, so that I can let you know as soon as our new website is open for registrations.
You are invited to join a dynamic and vibrant social science body located in the Southern African region, the South African Sociological Association (SASA). All persons who have at least a Masters Degree in Sociology or who have an Honours Degree and are appointed to teach Sociology at a Higher Education, are eligible. Registered students may join as student members for a maximum of five membership years.
Join now and become part of the intellectually exciting community of scholars. Meet both established, internationally renowned and energetic, up-and-coming, scholars.
Any member of the broad sociological community, and not only SASA members, may join the sociology-south-africa mailing list, which has been spam-free since its inception. Once you are a member, you may send emails to the list at . Emails are moderated for relevance. Join here. Past messages can be found here.
Joinining SASA comes with the benefit of reduced annual conference fees, inclusion in working group activities, intermittent invitations to other events and subscription to the SASA Journal, the South African Review of Sociology (SARS).
Note: SASA membership must have been paid and updated for a member to qualify for membership benefits. Membership lasts for a calendar year. Member status applies from the time of receiving confirmation until 31 December of that same year.
Two steps to Join Sasa
To renew previous membership:
- Ensure proof of payment reaches ;
- Login on the site and ensure your correct details are captured on our system any time. If you struggle, contact .
To join for the first time:
- E-mail so that you can register online once the new website is functional;
- Only after you have completed the membership form on the new website, ensure proof of payment reaches the membership officer.
The new contact details for this purpose will be sent to all who contact me at now.
*Payment can be confirmed only by providing official proof of direct deposit, whether in the bank (cash or cheque) or via electronic transfer (EFT).
Those who make use of institutional cheques should visit their own nearest Absa branch in order to
deposit the cheque into the SASA account, and send a clear copy of the stamped deposit.
*Those who require an invoice may use this template.
*Any further membership or website queries are welcome at .
*No SASA official is authorised to accept membership monies on behalf of the organisation.
|Regular members (postal address in SA / Africa)
including post-doctoral fellows
|Fulltime students (in SA / Africa) (excluding post-doctoral fellows) and
Retired / Emeritus members
|Members at an address outside of Africa||R650|
Please note that the student and retired membership category is open only to sociologists who are not paid a regular salary.
Regardless of institutional or tax status, postdoctoral fellows / researchers, are not considered fulltime students for the purpose of SASA membership. This principle is applied across institutions.
SASA's banking details (not to be used for conference fees) are:
South African Sociological Association
ABSA Auckland Park
Account number 4040852146
Reference if individual: Memb "Your Name" (for example, "MEMB AKPAN W")
Reference if department: Memb "Your University Dept" (for example, "MEMB WITS")
Details for international banking:
Auckland Park branch
Corner Annette and Stanley Rd
Swift Code: ABSAZAJJ
BIC bank international code: Not used by ABSA bank. Try swift code or branch code 632005.
- If your details are correct, simply send proof of payment with your surname and intial as reference to .
- If you are a prospective new member, please contact the membership officer, so that you can be informed as soon as registrations open. Your details are treated as confidential. Details will be used for the purpose of SASA benefits and the online members' register only.
- If your details have changed, please log in to update your profile.
- SASA accepts electronic transfers and direct deposits, but no cheque or credit card payments. No SASA office bearer is authorised to accept monies in lieu of membership. To enquire about payment method, please contact .
Pay the relevant fee directly into the SASA bank account, giving "memb" and your surname and initial as a reference for the deposit, for instance, MEMB AKPAN W. A payment without the correct reference or the reference "SASA" cannot be traced.
Where internet banking systems ask for payment confirmation details, enter email address (recipient Sasa).
- Once payment has been made, ensure that proof of payment reaches SASA. You may e-mail electronic or scanned proof of payment directly to . If you have entered your surname as reference and the email address for payment confirmation during an online payment / EFT, this is sufficient.
Once matching membership form and proof of your payment have been received by SASA, your membership can be updated. Ensure that you update your address and contact details online, as your membership benefits depend on this.
- IMPORTANT: It is members' own responsibility to ensure that their web profile on the SASA website is up-to-date. Membership benefits are based on the latest online membership list. Members should save all requested details for inclusion in our online members' register and in order to receive membership benefits. Should details not be correct online, no responsibility can be accepted for a failure to deliver membership benefits. Therefore:
- Please ask all existing members to log in and update their online profile.
- Please ask new members to create a profile by clicking on the membership form on our new website, and submitting it online.
- A department administrator may do this on behalf of SASA members.
- Send proof of payment to email address or to fax number 086 604 7272 / 086 604 SASA.
- In the same email, include a list of all those whose membership is being updated, the amount that has been paid with respect to each member, and your own contact details.
- Please note that both of these two requirements (complete membership form - ensure proof of payment reaches SASA) must be met before SASA membership can be updated.